Coconut Crunchy Bark
Raw, Vegan, Paleo, Dairy-Free, Gluten-Free, and Refined Sugar–Free
If you think that a sugar-free plan can’t include some amazing treats, guess again! I’m certain you’ll love this bark as much as I do. I keep a stash in the fridge and nibble on it when I need “a little something.”
- ½ cup toasted coconut flakes*
- ⅓ cup shredded coconut
- ⅓ cup hemp, sunflower, or sesame seeds (or a blend)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup melted coconut butter
- 2 tbsp. melted coconut oil
- 1 tbsp. tahini
- 2 tbsp. powdered xylitol† or 5 drops of stevia
Toss all dry ingredients together in a bowl. Whisk the liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl, then stir in the dry mixture. Spread in a thin layer on a parchment paper–lined tray. Set in the freezer for about 20 minutes until firm, and then break into pieces. Can be kept for up to 6 weeks in the fridge.
* Place coconut flakes (I like to do 1–2 cups to have extra for smoothies or snacks) in a thin layer on a baking sheet. Bake at 350 ℉ (175 °C) for 5–6 minutes, until golden and fragrant. Make sure to use toasted, as it makes the coconut flakes really crunchy and more flavourful.
† Xylitol is birch sugar. It doesn’t have any impact on blood-sugar levels, making it acceptable for sugar-free diets, but you can leave it out if you want. If you can’t find it powdered, grind some in a coffee grinder.
A classically trained chef turned raw-dessert chef, she is a travel bug, a chocoholic, and a certified yoga instructor.