No-Bake Pumpkin Pie (Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)
With the holiday season approaching, no celebration is complete without some delicious pumpkin pie! Be prepared for this recipe to become your new family favorite.
This outrageously delicious allergy-friendly rendition of the traditional dessert takes “inclusive cooking” to new heights! Free of gluten, dairy, sugar, eggs, soy, corn, potatoes, nuts, and seeds, this is a holiday treat that most people can enjoy. If you prefer a grain-free pie, you can use a nut-based raw or other grain-free pie crust.
- 1 × 13.5 fl. oz. (400 ml) can premium, full-fat coconut milk
- 2½ tbsp. agar agar flakes
- 1½ tsp. blackstrap molasses
- 1 cup maple syrup (or yacon syrup and reduce, or omit the molasses, for low-GI, diabetic-friendly version)
- 1½ tsp. cinnamon
- ¾ tsp. Himalayan salt
- ½ tsp. ginger
- ½ tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. cloves
- 2 × 13.5 fl. oz. (400 ml) cans pumpkin
- 1 recipe YUM Shortbread Pie Crust (p. 264), OR Basic Raw Crust (p. 325), OR Pecan-Date Butterball Raw Crust (p. 303), OR your favourite deep-dish, OR 2 prebaked gluten-free OR raw pie crusts
Place all the filling ingredients except the pumpkin into a medium-to-large heavy saucepan over high heat and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.
Stir continuously while it boils for the next 7 minutes to ensure it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
Stir in the pumpkin, reducing the temperature to medium, and cook for another 7 minutes, stirring continuously.
Remove from the heat and immediately pour the filling into the pie shell(s) or in custard dishes if making a crustless pudding.
Refrigerate for 4–6 hours, or until completely set. Unlike traditional pumpkin pie, the filling will only set after it has fully chilled and the agar agar has taken effect.
Any extra filling (if there is any) can be used to make individual chilled pudding cups. If desired, top with some ice cream or with dairy-free whipped cream.
Serves: 1 deep dish or 2 standard pies.
Theresa Nicassio, PhD, Psychologist
She is a Certified Gourmet Raw-Food Chef, Raw-Food Nutrition Educator, and author of YUM: Plant-Based Recipes for a Gluten-Free Diet.